These mixing rings are for partially dry systems. The exhaust is “dry” for a portion or most of the run and then water is injected before the exhaust either goes through a water lift muffler or after a dry muffler and before it goes out the side of the boat.
The benefits of a “hybrid” system are:
- The dry portion of the exhaust can be made from less costly materials.
- It is safer for the engine since there is less chance of seawater backflowing from the exhaust back into the engine from either excessive cranking or a leak in the mixing ring.
- A hybrid system places less back pressure on the exhaust, helping the engine run more efficiently.
- Since lightweight materials can be used and they aren’t filled with excessive amounts of seawater, the hybrid system is lighter weight.
- There is less chance of flooding or fire if a hose ruptures or a strainer gets clogged.